connecting switch access ports together

CCNA, CCDA, CCNP, CCDP, CCIP, CCVP and CCIE

Re:connecting switch access ports together

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:34 pm

hi Ganesh, so in essence do you mean to say that the hosts will be able to ping, assuming that there will not be any BPDUs that will shut down the access ports in between the switches? uddika

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:36 pm

As far as my understanding goes -- Assume that all the Host_1 and Host_2 are in same subnet (L-3)-- Host_1 send frame to Switch -- when ping to Host_2 IP address-- Switch look into the MAC address table (MAC address table for each VLAN is maintained in the Switch)-- It will not find.. the packet will broadcast within same broadcast domain (VLAN 2) but will not cross to VLAN 5 Hence communication would NOT be possible in the given scenario... If all the ports are in VLAN 2 (assumption that BPDU and other precautions are taken care of) then Ping from Host_1 and Host_2 would be possible. Eventhough you configured the trunk between two switches and Host_2 connected to port with VLAN5 the communication will not happen..

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:07 pm

hi Ganesh, you mentioned that "the packet will broadcast within same broadcast domain (VLAN 2) but will  not cross to VLAN 5". why exactly do you think this might not happen? if you look at the diagram, a broadcast packet exiting Sw_A from VLAN2 port Gi0/1 can reach Sw_B VLAN5 port Gi0/1. don you think so? packets exiting all Sw_1 VLAN2 ports are untagged, so they are acceppted at Sw_2 as packets from HOST_1. in that case Sw_A will have a MAC address table as:  MACPORTVLANHOST_1Fa0/12HOST_2Gi0/12 please explain to me if this is incorrect. thanks,uddika

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:17 am

<div class="

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:16 am

hi Ganesh, thanks. i see you got youre self confused in your post on 6. Mar 23, 2010 11:58 AM, but thanks for re-frasing the correct answer back to me. regards,uddika