Routed port on Layer 3 switch ?? please help

VTP, Portfast, Spanning Tree and all the other switch related stuff.

Routed port on Layer 3 switch ?? please help

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:40 am

Hello everyone I am confuse about the routed port on layer 3 switch , Can someone please help me out why we have to configure routed port on the layer 3 switch .As we all know that layer 3 switch can do VLAN routing then we need to configure routed port on the layer 3 switch and connect router on that portwhat is purpose of confgureing routed port , I am totally confuse about the concept of routed port  please help me out Thanks

Re:Routed port on Layer 3 switch ?? please help

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:46 am

routed port is for Layer 3 (like a WAN link on a switch) and is configured with the no switchport command. switchport turns the port into layer 2 for trunking or VLAN assignment. Routed ports are used commonly for Layer 3cores where all links are Layer 3 since its failover mechanisms are faster and more effective than Layer 2.

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:26 am

Thanks so it means that the routed port can only use for the WAN link let say I have frame relay configure for the client on my router with different ip address so I want to allow my client ip network to be routed inside my network so i have achive this by doing routed port correct me Thanks

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:51 am

timtech2631 wrote: Thanks so it means that the routed port can only use for the WAN link let say I have frame relay configure for the client on my router with different ip address so I want to allow my client ip network to be routed inside my network so i have achive this by doing routed port correct me Thanks A routed port is just a L3 port. It does not have to be WAN it can be within your LAN ie. you want to connect your L3 switch to a router that then sends traffic somwhere else. You can connect the L3 switch to the router using a routed port on the L3 switch. As for frame-relay, actually on switches you generally wouldn be able to terminate a frame-relay connection. L3 routed ports on L3 switches are for ethernet. Jon

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:10 am

timtech2631 wrote: Hello everyone I am confuse about the routed port on layer 3 switch , Can someone please help me out why we have to configure routed port on the layer 3 switch .As we all know that layer 3 switch can do VLAN routing then we need to configure routed port on the layer 3 switch and connect router on that portwhat is purpose of confgureing routed port , I am totally confuse about the concept of routed port  please help me out Thanks Routed ports works at L3 and not L2. So there is no STP (Spanning-tree) running on the port if you configure it as a routed port. Generally speaking routed ports are good when you are using a L3  point to point link between your L3 switch and another L3 switch or router. Jon