Context with IPSec VPN

IPsec, L2TP, Split tunneling, PPTP and all other VPN related posts.

Context with IPSec VPN

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:33 am

Hi friends, I have an query for the below scenario. I need to create a IPSec Site-Site VPN in the Single mode firewall.Is it possible to create the tunnel. I have ASA 5510 Security Plus with Ver 8.3 Thanks in advance.

Re:Context with IPSec VPN

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:43 am

Pls check the attached diagram

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:00 pm

Hi, You can create L2L IPsec VPN tunnels using the ASA (in this case version 8.3) in single mode.If you have the ASA in multiple-context mode you cannot, but no problem if using single mode. Hope it helps. Federico.

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:05 pm

Hi Federico, Thanks for your reply, Ya, I know In multiple context would not support IPSec VPN.In my scenario, Tunnel should pass through Multiple context and reach the ASA (VPN Initiator).  Internet---------> Multiple context----------> VPN Initiator. I have a query on that, whether this multiple context may allow the VPN tunnels are not.If it is there, please send some examples for the reference. Thanks in advance Federico.

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:10 pm

In your case you need ASA in multiple-context to allow VPN to pass-thru.Theres no problem with that. The only restrictions are that an ASA in multiple-context will not function as a VPN termination point (besides an admin tunnel)... but you can pass traffic or VPN traffic just like in ASAs in single-mode. Federico.